Latest Videos from CTV Saskatoon
$10,000 in damage in Lighthouse kitchen fire
The Lighthouse Supported Living in downtown Saskatoon.
Published Friday, August 10, 2018 2:01PM CST
Last Updated Friday, August 10, 2018 4:41PM CST
A kitchen fire at The Lighthouse on Thursday was accidental, the Saskatoon Fire Department says.
Investigators determined it was due to improper storage of cardboard boxes on a stovetop, according to a news release.
The fire department recommends to never stove anything on a stovetop other than proper cookware.
The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, the department says.
Crews responded to around 2:45 p.m. Thursday, finding an extinguished fire in a kitchen.
The department cleared the building to vent smoke and carbon monoxide, and asked the city for a bus to provide Lighthouse occupants with water and relief from high temperatures.
There were no injuries as a result of the fire.
Lighthouse staff member Raeleen Viklund told CTV News the fire was in the community kitchen - the primary kitchen remains fully operational, so operations are carrying on as usual.