An early morning fire has destroyed a high-end house just north of Saskatoon, with fire officials estimating damage at $1 million.

Fire crews responded to a 911 call at approximately 3:30 a.m. Wednesday to the home at Cathedral Bluffs in the R.M. of Corman Park.

Firefighters attacked the flames from the exterior after being told by the homeowner that the house was vacant, the fire department said in a news release.

Crews had difficulty shutting off natural gas service to the house due to heavy fire around the location of the shutoff and there were concerns about the potential for a natural gas explosion.

Two vehicles in the garage as well as a propane tank were other potential hazards for firefighters.

Tanker trucks were used to transport water to the scene of the fire as there was no access to hydrants.

The homeowner suffered a minor burn while moving vehicles prior the fire department’s arrival and was treated at the scene by MD Ambulance.

Lightning is believed to have ignited the fire but the official cause of the blaze must still be determined by provincial fire investigators.