Appointment of Sask Party member to SHA leadership position draws criticism

The appointment of a Saskatchewan Party member to the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) Executive Leadership team is drawing criticism.
Earlier this week, Raynelle Wilson was named SHA Vice-President of Enterprise Initiatives Support. However, the NDP is raising concerns about Wilson’s credentials and what is behind her appointment.
In a statement, the province said Wilson has “significant experience” in the public sector, having serviced as President and CEO of Saskatchewan Housing Corporation and was Assistant Deputy Minster of Housing and Disability Services within the Social Services Ministry, among other past duties.
“The Government of Saskatchewan believes that qualified individuals are able to serve in the public sector, regardless of their political affiliation. For example, former NDP Cabinet Minister Bob Pringle was appointed under our government as the Children’s Advocate,” the province said in a statement.
But the NDP suggests the appointment is political as Wilson doesn’t have medical experience.
“The health authority needs to have an arms length independence from government. To be allowed to make health decisions based on science, based on what’s best for patients in Saskatchewan, not what’s best for Paul Merriman and Scott Moe’s political spin,” NDP Leader Ryan Meili said. “This is exactly what we now have is a person placed there with no qualifications except her loyalty to the premier.”
A letter to SHA staff members outlined Wilson’s role. “The SHA is seconding Raynelle for six months to provide executive leadership aimed at strengthening collaboration between the SHA, Ministry of Health and other key partners in support of achieving and reporting on priority enterprise initiatives. This work will align directly with SHA core values of collaboration and accountability and strengthen our profile, reporting and sharing of success stories with key partners.”
A government spokesperson said they were not able to provide any further detail on the SHA’s human resource process.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Ont. and Que. scramble to recover from thunderstorm that left at least 8 dead
Clean-up efforts are underway after a massive thunderstorm on Saturday left a trail of destruction in Southern Ontario and Quebec.

What is a 'derecho'? Climatologist explains Saturday's powerful storm
The storm that moved across Ontario and Quebec Saturday is known as a 'derecho', a powerful kind of windstorm that is long lasting and far-reaching.
Trained dogs can identify COVID-19 by sniffing skin swabs: study
A new study that brought sniffer dogs to an airport to search for COVID-19 has found that dogs may be able to detect the virus with high accuracy just from smelling skin swabs.
Russian sentenced to life in Ukraine's 1st war crimes trial
A Ukrainian court sentenced a 21-year-old Russian soldier to life in prison Monday for killing a civilian, sealing the first conviction for war crimes since Moscow's invasion three months ago.
How concerned should we be about monkeypox?
Global health officials have sounded the alarm over rising cases in Europe and elsewhere of monkeypox, a type of viral infection more common to west and central Africa. Here's what we know about the current outbreak and the relative risk.
Officials expect 3 to 4 days to restore power across Ottawa following storm
Hydro Ottawa says it will take several days to restore power and clean up after a severe storm damaged hydro poles and wires on Saturday.
Group of Ontario lawyers petitions courts to keep proceedings virtual
More than 1,000 lawyers in Ontario have signed a petition to make all court appearances 'presumptively virtual unless parties and their counsel agree otherwise.'
Flames engulf Indigenous-owned resort in B.C. Interior
Guests at an Indigenous-owned resort in B.C.'s Interior were evacuated Sunday morning and watched as firefighters tried to contain the flames that had engulfed the building's roof.
78,000 pounds of infant formula arrives in U.S.
A military plane carrying enough specialty infant formula for more than half a million baby bottles arrived Sunday in Indianapolis, the first of several flights expected from Europe aimed at relieving a shortage that has sent parents scrambling to find enough to feed their children.