Latest Videos from CTV Saskatoon
Crews respond to natural gas leak in Saskatoon
Published Monday, January 9, 2017 11:23AM CST
Last Updated Monday, January 9, 2017 6:12PM CST
Several homes in a Saskatoon neighbourhood were evacuated, and students at a nearby school were kept inside, after a natural gas leak Monday.
A gas line ruptured in the 400 block of 30th Street West shortly after 10 a.m. Fire officials say a private contractor had drilled into the line located outside a home.
Nine nearby homes were evacuated, and notices were issued to residents within a one-block radius. Residents who were forced from their homes have since been given the all-clear to return.
Crews were working to install a special shutoff valve to isolate the affected gas line. Crews are expected to remain on scene into the evening hours.
Officials say while a rotten-egg smell may linger in the area, it is safe.