Emergency crews were called to the hotel over noon hour.

An employee was preparing a water treatment for the pool when a powerful clearner - sodium hypo-chloride - was mixed with acid. The combination released a gas that was contained to a room in the pool area.

The hotel did not have to be evacuated.

The hazardous materials team moved in to clean up the mess.

Firefighters say they always use protective suits and breathing masks when dealing with sodium hypo-chloride.

Assistant Fire Chief Dan Paulsen says that pool cleaners have to be that strong. "All pool cleaning agents have that and even if you look at other pool cleaning agents when they come into contact with organics they will combust. so we have issues with it and that's what we're dealing with now."