Latest Videos from CTV Saskatoon
Kitchen fire leads to apartment building's evacuation
Fire crews respond to reports of a kitchen fire inside an apartment building at 2315 20th Street West Wednesday afternoon.
Published Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:43PM CST
Last Updated Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:36PM CST
A kitchen fire prompted the evacuation of a seniors apartment complex Wednesday afternoon.
The Saskatoon Fire Department was called to the apartment building at 2315 20th Street West just after 1:30 p.m.
Crews found smoke on the fourth floor of the building before locating the fire in a single suite. The building’s sprinkler system was able to contain the blaze to one room, the fire department said in a media release.
The building was evacuated as a precautionary measure while 20th Street was shut down between Avenue W and Avenue X as fire crews investigated the incident.
The blaze started during a tenant move, the fire department said. A plastic container left on a stove caught fire after a stove element was accidentally turned on.
Damage is estimated at $40,000. No one was injured during the incident.