Fire leaves Sturgeon Lake family homeless
A family on the Sturgeon Lake First Nation is homeless after a fire destroyed their house Sunday evening.
The fire broke out at approximately 5 p.m. Sunday, but firefighters from Sturgeon Lake could do little to save the home. Instead, crews focused on preventing the blaze from spreading to a nearby propane tank and neighbouring houses.
The Buckland Fire Department provided re-enforcements.
When they arrived the house was already destroyed and Buckland chief Jim Miller said that with conditions that included wind gusts reaching 40 km/h its fortunate there was no damage to neighbouring homes.
Sturgeon Lake First Nation is located approximately 25 kilometres northwest of Prince Albert.