COVID-19 updates for Saskatoon and area for Tuesday, June 2
Published Tuesday, June 2, 2020 11:04AM CST Last Updated Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:37PM CST
SASKATOON -- Check back throughout the day for the latest on COVID-19 in Saskatoon and area.
If you're concerned you might be infected with COVID-19, the Saskatchewan COVID-19 self-assessment tool is a helpful resource.
Northern travel restrictions to be lifted
On Monday, June 8 the COVID-19-related travel restrictions in Saskatchewan's far north are expected to be lifted.
The move, announced by the province in a news release, comes as the number of active cases in the region continues to decline, with just 23 as of Tuesday.
The restrictions came after a jump in COVID-19 cases, largely concentrated in La Loche.
While the limits on travel were relaxed for northeast Saskatchewan on May 19, they still remained in place for many communities in the province's northwest.
No new COVID-19 cases
The province reported no new cases of COVID-19 and 14 recoveries on Tuesday.
Two people are in hospital, the province says. Both are in intensive care in Saskatoon.
Of the 646 reported cases, 33 are considered active. To date, 48,593 COVID-19 tests have been performed in the province.
Premier Scott Moe says he is hopeful Phase Four of the province’s reopening plan could happen late June or early July.
"We are actively looking at Phase Four, what Phase Four does look like as we start to not only set a date but set some of the parameters."
Marquis Downs misses opening weekend
Rick Fior couldn’t help but feel a little strange sitting at home on the night that the Marquis Downs racing season was supposed to begin.
“The Downs have been open here since 1969, we’ve never missed an opening weekend,” said Fior, the manager of racing.
Including the pair on opening weekend, Marquis Downs have had to cancel seven races because of the pandemic. As a recreational facility, they’re eligible to open in Phase Four of the province’s Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan.
Beauval outbreak over
The COVID-19 outbreak in Beauval is over, the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) says.
The outbreak had been declared May 1 after new cases were identified in the Beauval area.
As of Tuesday today no active cases are in the community and no evidence exists of community transmission, the SHA says.
On Tuesday the province announced no new cases of COVID-19, though 33 active cases remain.
Cycling studio can't reopen
The owner of a Saskatoon cycling studio says she won’t be able to reopen under the province’s Phase Three guidelines.
Ten-person class size limits make opening her two locations unfeasible, Ryde YXE co-owner Shaina Lynden said.
Classes that small won’t pay for instructors or staff to work the front desk and carry out new cleaning protocol.
Mental health report
Saskatchewan residents have shown the most improved mental health in the country, according to last month's Mental Health Index report by human resources giant Morneau Shepell.
While Saskatchewan's score was still negative, it was tied with Newfoundland and Labrador for the least negative score among the provinces, at -8.2. That's up from -12.9 in April.
The national average remained unchanged at -12.
Country Thunder won't go ahead
Country Thunder Craven will not go ahead in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizers say the event has been postponed to 2021.
On Monday, the province said there was one new confirmed case of COVID-19 in Saskatchewan.
The lone positive test result came from the Regina region, the province said in its daily COVID-19 news release.
As of Monday, the province had a total 646 confirmed cases of COVID-19, the same as Sunday.
The province said the number remained unchanged because a previous positive test was found to be false after a second sample was taken.
Of the 646 cases, 47 were considered active. Of the 47 active cases, 32 of the cases were concentrated in the province's far north.
A student at the University of Saskatchewan is calling for a decrease in tuition, as most classes will operate online in the fall due to COVID-19.
Fourth-year chemistry student Abigail Unrau started an online petition, urging officials to reduce the price.
Last week, students received an email saying combined tuition and fees for undergrad students would decrease by 0.2 per cent — which is about $18 less than in the 2019-20 year.