COVID-19 updates for Saskatoon and area for Friday, May 29
SASAKTOON -- Check back throughout the day for the latest on COVID-19 in Saskatoon and area.
If you're concerned you might be infected with COVID-19, the Saskatchewan COVID-19 self-assessment tool is a helpful resource.
Two new cases
The province of Saskatchewan is reporting two new COVID-19 cases on Friday, along with two new recoveries.
One case is from the south and the other is in the Saskatoon area.
Saskatchewan now has a total of 641 cases of COVID-19. Sixty-one cases are considered active with 45 of those cases concentrated in the far north.
A total of 570 people have recovered from the virus so far in Saskatchewan.
Province increases daycare limit
Childcare facilities will be limited to 15 children per building space under phase three of the Re-Open Saskatchewan plan.
The third phase has a tentative date of June 8.
Prior to phase three, daycares were operating with a maximum of eight children per building or area.
Details on worship services
Places of worship can resume services starting June 8, according to an update to the Reopen Saskatchewan Plan.
The newly released guidelines, coming into effect in phase three, allow one third capacity inside of a facility up to a maximum of 30 people.
Places of worship must still ensure that a physical distance of two metres is maintained between individual households.
Saskatoon sports streaming-options
The SaskTel Centre is streaming what it calls two of the best games in the arena’s history on Saturday.
It will broadcast the Saskatchewan Rattlers championship game last year versus the Hamilton Honey Badgers and the Saskatoon Blades’ Memorial Cup bout against the Halifax Mooseheads from 2013.
Northern community sees positive trend in virus battle
As the number of active cases continues to drop in Saskatchewan's far north — 61 on Thursday, down from 93 a week prior — one community has seen its number of confirmed COVID-19 cases go from 31 to zero.
That's according to Clearwater River Dene Nation Chief Teddy Clark, who shared the news in a Facebook post.
Clark said it's still important to be cautious, even in light of the good news.
"Awesome news for sure but please keep in mind we still need to continue with all safety precautions," Clark said in the post.
The province said there were two new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Saskatchewan, bringing the provincial total to 639. Of those cases, 61 are considered active.
One of the new cases was found in Saskatoon, the other in the province's "north" COVID-19 tracking region, an area that includes the former Prairie North, Prince Albert Parkland and Kelsey Trail health regions. Of the 61 active cases, 46 were concentrated in the far north.
As of Thursday, there have been 568 recoveries and 10 deaths related to the virus. The province reported three of those deaths this week.
Premier Scott Moe said there are no plans to fine those who organized or took part in two large family gatherings in Saskatoon that led to a COVID-19 outbreak declaration.
The gatherings, which prompted the "community outbreak" declaration from the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) both exceeded the current 10-person limit in Saskatchewan.
Four cases of the virus are beleived to be linked to the gatherings.
The Saskatchewan government pledged $1.125 million to help those caring for people with intellectual disabilities during the pandemic.
The money will provide a $100 monthly respite payment to caregivers from June to September.
Camp kitchens, playgrounds and campsites will remain closed when Prince Albert National Park reopens.