Friends of the Canadian Wheat Board hoping to take lawsuit to Supreme Court
The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:52PM CST
Last Updated Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:12AM CST
SWIFT CURRENT, Sask. - The group Friends of the Canadian Wheat Board hopes to take its multibillion-dollar lawsuit against Ottawa to the Supreme Court of Canada.
The lawsuit filed in 2012 is over legislation that removed the wheat board's marketing monopoly on western wheat and barley sales.
Last month, the Federal Court of Appeal ruled against the group's challenge of a lower-court decision that struck down parts of a class-action lawsuit that alleges expropriation and interference with economic relations.
Stewart Wells, a spokesman for the group, says it will seek leave to appeal to the Supreme Court.
He says the Federal Court of Appeal ruling does not properly address what he called the injustice of Ottawa seizing and disposing of wheat board assets paid for by farmers.
The federal government plans to privatize the wheat board before August 2017.