Latest Videos from CTV Saskatoon
Firefighters return to duty after acquittal
Saskatoon firefighters found not guilty of assaulting a police officer have been returned to active duty.
Published Friday, November 30, 2012 8:51AM CST
Last Updated Friday, November 30, 2012 9:50AM CST
Three Saskatoon firefighters who were found not guilty earlier this week on charges of assaulting a peace officer and obstructing a peace officer have returned to work.
Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services said in a news release Friday the firefighters’ suspensions have been lifted and they will return to active duty.
The action was taken following a review of the court judgment as well as the fire service’s rules and regulations, the release said.
The charges were laid after an incident on Aug. 12 when the off-duty firefighters were play fighting on the Broadway Bridge. Police officers thought it was an assault, stopped to break it up, and a scuffle ensued.
In a judgment released this week, a provincial court judge found the firefighters not guilty of all the charges and said he believed the testimony of the firefighters over the police officers.
Defence lawyers questioned the actions of police that night and wonder if this happens too often.
Both police chief Clive Weighill and acting fire chief Dan Paulsen say it’s an unfortunate incident, but it will not have a negative impact on the strong relationship between them.
The police chief says he doesn’t expect his officers will face any disciplinary action from this case