Latest Videos from CTV Saskatoon
Damage estimated at $200,000 after early morning house fire
Damage is estimated at $200,000 after an early morning fire Tuesday in Saskatoon's Dundonald neighbourhood.
Published Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:53AM CST
Last Updated Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:45AM CST
Damage is estimated at $200,000 after a house fire early Tuesday in the Dundonald neighbourhood.
Firefighters found heavy smoke showing from the front and side of the home at 146 Makaroff Road when they arrived at the house just after 3:30 a.m., but flames began to show from the home’s front door and fireplace vent, Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services said in a news release.
The fire was brought under control just after 4 a.m., with crews using steam to extinguish the fire.
The home’s occupants, who had escaped after being alerted to the fire by smoke detectors, told firefighters the blaze originated in the basement. While extinguishing the blaze firefighters found that that a significant part of the home’s floor had burnt through.
A fire investigator was called to the scene due to the large amount of damage.
Also Tuesday morning, firefighters responded to a fire at Northwoods Inn and Suites in the 600 block of Idylwyld Drive just after 1 a.m.
Crews found heavy smoke coming from a hotel room where they found a burning mattress.
The blaze was extinguished within seven minutes after arriving on the scene.
Adjoining suites were not affected by the fire and no one was injured.
A damage estimate will be announced once the investigation is complete.