Latest Videos from CTV Saskatoon
2nd Sask. couple report drink incident in Mexico
Published Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:37AM CST
Cara and Shawn Unser, a Martensville couple, thought they had planned the perfect honeymoon. It was in an ideal location on the sunny shores of Cancun, Mexico.
But they say their dream vacation turned into a nightmare.
"Basically, we just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible and get back to Canada," Shawn said.
The couple was staying at a five-star resort called the Jade Riviera. One Saturday morning they were lounging at the pool. Shawn says he had three drinks over a two-hour period, and Cara had two.
The next thing they remember is waking up in their suite, nine hours later. They still don't know how they ended up there.
"I woke up to Cara being sick over the side of the bed, then I did the same," said Shawn.
"We literally couldn't move for three hours," said Cara.
The couple says they and the bartender were the only ones to touch their drinks. CTV contacted the resort. A spokesman says they're investigating the incident and that this is the first time something like this has happened there.
The morning after the incident, the Unsers decided to end their honeymoon early and caught the next flight back to Canada. They say after this experience, they won't be going back to Mexico.
The Unsers are the second Saskatchewan couple this month to report this kind of incident in Mexico.
Caroline Shartrand says her husband lost consciousness and his heart stopped briefly after he had drinks at the Playa del Carman resort they were staying at.
Foreign Affairs Canada is warning travelers to Mexico not to leave food and drinks unattended, saying there have been reports of tourists being robbed or assaulted after being drugged.